Everyday Mom's Meals: Cool Suppers for Hot Days
_____

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Cool Suppers for Hot Days


Oh summer, how I love thee. Even when the thermometer reads 90 before noon, the Indiana humidity is at 110%, and my 8 month pregnant body has sweat coming out of places I never knew existed. Yes, even with all of that, I am still summer's #1 fan. See, we have a saying in our family, "You don't have to shovel sunshine."

Did you catch that? 8 months pregnant. So many people are telling me "Wow this is flying by, but I'm sure it's not for you." Well, I have to be honest, IT IS! I can't believe our baby boy will be here in such a short amount of time. But, with so much left to do to get his nursery ready, he needs to keep baking a while longer!

Being pregnant in the summer isn't something many women would be okay with, but I am. Alex's birthday is in September, so apparently I'm just destined to enjoy the dog days of the season carrying a few extra pounds; and it's a blessing I am so thankful for.

But that doesn't mean I can't find my own ways to beat the heat. We are regulars at our local splash pads and pool. And I can always get inside with AC and put my feet up. Plus, when it comes to dinner time, I can make sure meals are light, cool and refreshing.

Such is the case with this terrific salad. Sure, it would be great at a picnic or at your July 4th cookout, but it also makes a tasty meal on a hot evening. I served it with some fresh fruit on the side and we were all satisfied without feeling stuffed.

These hot days are what I long for during those bitter cold winter months, so I for one will not complain. I will just find ways to make it a little easier on myself and this little bundle of joy of ours!

Shrimp Pasta Salad
1 lb. medium shell pasta
1 (12 oz.) bag frozen cooked shrimp, deveined, shell off, tail on, thawed
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 ribs celery, diced
1/4 c. mayo
1/4 c. zesty Italian dressing
2 tsp. Chesapeake Bay Style seasoning, plus extra for garnish
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, remove tails from shrimp and cut each shrimp in half. In a large bowl combine shrimp, pepper, and celery. In a small bowl whisk together mayo, dressing and seasoning. When pasta is cooked, drain, rinse with cold water and drain well. Add to shrimp mixture. Pour dressing over. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Chill 2 hours. Before serving, sprinkle with extra seasoning. *NOTE* You might ask why buy tail on shrimp if you're going to take them off? I find with frozen shrimp, they keep their shape better if they are frozen with the tails on, and then removed later.





No comments: