Everyday Mom's Meals: Busy School Days { A Post For Earth Fare}
_____

Friday, August 14, 2015

Busy School Days { A Post For Earth Fare}

Well, summer is over. Okay, not really, but this was our first week back to school; and let me tell you, I am stinkin' exhausted! Oh my gosh. Who knew starting 35 minutes earlier every day could mean mommy needs coffee...lots of coffee. Stat. From an IV drip!

When school is back in session, it seems like our already super busy lives get busier and busier by the day. So many things to do, running here and there, homework, after school activities, sports...you name it, our plates are F.U.L.L.

So when the craziness sets in, that's when I really start to rely on recipes that can be used for more than one thing, more than one meal. And one of my favorite things that fall into the category are muffins!

I love having something for little man to nibble on when he comes home starving. (They all do, right??) But I don't want it to be junk. Something he can enjoy and I can feel good about. Plus, if I can then use it the next morning for breakfast, or pack it in his lunch, or even have as an after supper sweet treat, even better! One recipe, and already I've found 4 times I can serve them. That's what I'm talking about.

A friend gave me this recipe and I was so thrilled to see the reduction of sugar and addition of applesauce. I've baked with it before, and it keeps things moist while adding to the sweetness too!

If you need something quick and easy for the school day rush, look no further. Heck, the kids could even eat these in the car if you're running late! Not that any of us ever do that....right??!!

Applesauce Mini Muffins
1 stick butter, room temp
1/2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. flour
2 eggs
3/4 c. applesauce
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Topping:
4 TBS butter, melted
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 TBS. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl cream together sugar and butter until smooth. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir. Add eggs, applesauce and vanilla to butter mixture. Mix well. Slowly add flour mixture in batches, stirring in between each. When batter is combine, scoop into paper lined mini muffin tray. Bake for 15 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Remove to wire rack to cool. Allow to cool 10-15 minutes. Mix sugar and cinnamon together for topping. Brush tops of muffins with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. 







Shared at Weekend Potluck

No comments: