Everyday Mom's Meals: What I Won't Do For Him
_____

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

What I Won't Do For Him

When I was a kid, one of my favorite meals was my mom's salmon patties. I used to ask her to make them all the time. Then when Mr. E and I started dating, they became one of his favorites for her to make also. So, it shouldn't be a big deal for me to make them for him now, right??!! I should jump at the chance, right??!! Wrong. Very wrong.

See, some years back, we went to a local seafood restaurant, which shall remain nameless, and I ordered something I knew I would love. Salmon. A nice piece, with a sweet glaze and grilled. Mmmm....yummy. Right? Wrong again. Because by that night, I realized food poisoning wasn't my friend and I was so, so sick.

Now I don't know about you, but once something makes me sick, it takes a very long time for me to allow it back into my mouth again. And sometimes it is simply never welcome back. That was the case with salmon. I was so sick and have such vivid memories of it, even the smell of it can make my tummy not happy, so I've avoided it for years.

But then a couple weeks ago, while making out my meal plan, I asked my hubby what he was hungry for. "Your mom's salmon patties." Really? Seriously? Did you just say that. Well evidently I was feeling generous that day, or maybe he had done something nice for me, I can't remember, because I actually agreed to this.

Thankfully, since it was a different texture, a different flavor and something that actually brought back happy memories of eating it, I did just find. Whew...I'm so happy! I've missed not eating one of mom's best recipes!

These are super simple and come together much quicker than you might think. I like to serve them with a fresh creamy dill dipping sauce and some rice, for a supper filled with good protein!

I am so happy I made it through this meal and now know I can enjoy these once again, just as much as I did when I was a kid. Well, almost...they are never as good as when mom made them!

P.S. Today just happens to be my parents wedding anniversary too. Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad! We are so blessed to have you as parents and wish you many more blessed years to come!

Mom's Salmon Patties
2 (14.75 oz.) cans salmon, drained and bones removed
1 egg, beaten
1 c. bread crumbs*
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1 TBS dried parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste
Vegetable Oil for frying
Lemon slices for garnish

Dill Sauce
1/3 c. mayo
1/3 c. sour cream
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 1/2 tsp. dill weed
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. horseradish
1 TBS minced onion
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients for dill sauce in a medium bowl. Stir until well mixed. Chill until ready to serve. Place drained salmon in a large bowl. With hands, break up and recheck for bone pieces. Add egg and onion. Add bread crumbs, a little at a time until mixture starts to bind. Add salt, pepper and parsley. Mix well using hands. Using hand, make patties about 1/2" thick. Heat oil until 350 degrees, or medium-high. Fry on both sides until browned. Serve with sauce and lemon on the side. *NOTE* I used about a cup of bread crumbs. You will need to eyeball it to see how much you will need, depending on how wet your salmon is. We like them extra crispy on the outside, because mom always made them that way. If you don't want them quite as brown, fry at 325 and watch very closely.
 




No comments: