Everyday Mom's Meals: Popsicle in a Bowl
_____

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Popsicle in a Bowl

By now, my entire fan base (or close it) and certainly my friends and family know how much I love a sweet side salad. For those of you who are new around here, let me explain. I'm talking about those dishes that are technically sweet enough they can be considered dessert, but since you add the word "salad" to them, they can now be served right alongside the meal, as a side dish. They are fun, yummy, and allow our brains not to notice the fact we are basically eating our dessert with our meal instead of after.

I especially love these types of dishes for potlucks, cookouts, holidays, family reunions, etc. Why? Because when you're feeding a crowd, something that can pull double duty is invaluable. Set a sweet salad out, and some will take it with their main meal, and then hit the pies, cakes and ice cream for dessert. While others, will hold off and go back for it when their meal is over. It lets one dish to play different roles, making it satisfy everyone, in their own way.

This one is going to remind you of those orange creamsicle pops you would get from the ice cream man, and maybe still do. You know the ones I'm talking about. Orange on the outside, a thick creamy center...a kid's summer time favorite.

So, are you wondering how I served this yet? I actually had this with a light summer meal with my Tuna Macaroni Salad; and this was the perfect fruity side dish for it. But then the next day, we had it as dessert after a big meal. See what I mean? Double duty!

Take this to your next poolside party or picnic in the park and watch everyone young and old fight over the scoop!

Creamsicle Salad
1 small box orange Jello
1 small box instant vanilla pudding
1 c. boiling water
1/2 c. cold water
1 (8oz.) tub Cool Whip
1 (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges, drained, reserve a few for garnish
1 c. mini marshmallows, reserve a few for garnish

In a large bowl combine Jello and boiling water. Mix well to dissolve. Add cold water.  Chill for 20 minutes. Whisk in pudding mix until smooth. Chill for 10 minutes until thickened. Fold in Cool Whip, oranges and marshmallows. Chill until set, about an hour. Garnish with extra oranges and marshmallows.







Inspired By The Better Baker






 

12 comments:

Unknown said...

When adding the pudding... Do we just add the mix or make the pudding per directions on the box and then add. Thanks

Krista said...

The powder only.

Unknown said...

Thank you!!! I wanted to make this for Vacation Bible School. 👍

Unknown said...

I did not have vanilla pudding so I used a box of coconut cream pie flavor and it was fantastic! I also added sone drained crushed pineapple that I had on the fridge. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Unknown said...

Can this be made the day before you serve?

Unknown said...

Hi, I am planning to make this for a cookout next weekend but am wondering, do you serve something with it? Like wafers or is it something that stands alone?

Krista said...

Its perfect as is! Maybe a little whipped cream on top :)

dcottrell52@gmail.com said...

What size serving dish do you use ? I probably need to double this for a crowd of 30 (potluck) what size dish would I need ? Looks super yummy

Krista said...

I would use a very large serving bowl or even a large disposable one. As long as it fits in the fridge to set.

Unknown said...

I have made this several times now. It is delicious! I have modified the recipe slightly in that I double the amount of mandarin oranges and leave out the marshmallows. My family thought the marshmallows made it a bit too sweet.

Krista said...

Hi Melissa! I'm so glad you enjoy the recipe!

LMD said...

Easy to substitute sugar free ingredients for diabetics. Just as yummy!