Everyday Mom's Meals: A Little Korean In My Kitchen {A Review}
_____

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

A Little Korean In My Kitchen {A Review}

Do you enjoy authentic Koren food? We sure do! If you've never tried it, but like other Asian cuisine, I highly encourage you to go for it! 

Like many worldly dishes, I had never had Koren food until Mr. E introduced me to it a few years ago. As many of you know, he and Little Man both train in Taekwondo; but what you might not know is Mr. E actually began his training years ago as a child. And during that, his Master instructor, who was from Koren, introduced him to many things from his culture, including authentic food prepared by his wife. It was love at first bite for my husband, and to this day he remembers those meals with fondness. 

Nowadays since she no longer lives around here, he satisfies his Koren cravings at a great family owned place just 10 minutes down the road, which serves up all the traditional dishes he loves. This is where he first introduced me to it, and also the boy. Well, both of us fell in love with it just as much as him! And now, thanks to a Hoosier company, and restaurant, Sunny's Korean, I can bring a little of those amazing foods into my very own kitchen! 

Chom Sun Kaminski, aka Sunny, hails from South Korea, and moved to the US at the age of 22. Growing up, food had always been a passion for her and she spent many years working to learn the art of creating delicious food. 

Sunny's Korean Restaurant has been operating in Mishawaka, Indiana since 1992. For over 20 years, she has been sharing her homemade, fresh, healthy and scrumptious Korean cuisine. Plus, you can order her products online! Both the Korean Teriyaki and Kimchee Seasoning are staples in the dishes folks love at the restaurant and now can make at home!

Both are all natural, have no preservatives or MSG and are gluten free. Making them so much better than stuff you can find on your grocery store aisle. 

If you've never had Kimchee, it's a traditional Korean dish made with vegetables and seasonings, and has hundreds of known varieties. You might have seen it at your local Asian restaurant as "spicy coleslaw". It can be made with cabbage, cucumbers, spinach...anything really.

I was so thrilled at the chance of trying these products in my kitchen because Mr. E has been bugging me for years to make him some Kimchi! I started with a simple cucumber salad but will definitely be moving onto the cabbage dish next! This has a little heat to it, so be sure to add it to your taste. I will tell you as someone who can't handle a lot of heat, this amount was perfect for my wimpy tongue.

This comes together in almost no time and is the perfect side dish to any Asian inspired meal you make at home. If you have friends who love Kimchi, they will be so impressed you know how to make it. We won't tell them you took a little help!!

Kimchi Cucumber Salad
2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced 1/4" half moons
1/2 c. thinly sliced yellow onion
1/2 c. shredded carrot
2 TBS Sunny's Korean Teriyaki
2 TBS Sunny's Kimchee Seasoning

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Toss to coat. Chill for at least 5 minutes before serving. *NOTE* If you noticed the different spellings, I learned this dish as "kimchi" but Sunny uses "kimchee" so I use both to respect her product.






Shared on The Country Cook June 5, 2015

Disclaimer: I received free product samples in exchange for this review/feature. All thoughts and opinions are my own. 

No comments: