Everyday Mom's Meals: Summer Time Classic {A Post For Earth Fare}
_____

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Summer Time Classic {A Post For Earth Fare}

May is here, and in our house that means summer. Yes, I realize the official first day of our favorite season isn't until next month, but we don't care. Bring on the shorts, the flip flops, the sun, the picnics and the barbecues. 

As soon the calendar flipped from April 30th to May 1st my brain went to one place. Summer time food! Everything we crave all winter long, and all those dishes we look forward to every time we light up the grill. And nothing says summer cookout more than potato salad

It doesn't matter what you have cooking on the grill, a classic potato salad tastes great with it! Burgers, steaks, chicken, ribs, hot dogs....they all taste better with a big helping of tater salad next to it. We eat so much of it this time of year, I'm always looking for new ways to make it. This time, I found a way to combine breakfast with potato salad. Say what??!!! Well, okay not exactly, but kind of! 

Bacon and eggs. It's a breakfast staple. But this time they come together beautifully with potatoes and a creamy dressing. I'm not joking when I say I could eat the entire bowl of this myself! To me, a great potato salad will always have hard boiled eggs in it, and with the addition of crispy bacon, it's just over the top.

If you are lighting up the grill this week, give the family an update on a classic! I don't care what the calendar says folks, summer is here and we are ready to enjoy every bite! 

Bacon and Egg Potato Salad
2.5 lbs. red potatoes
6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 small white onion, finely chopped
1 c. mayo
2 TBS dill relish
1 TBS white vinegar
1 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS yellow mustard
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. dill weed
1/2 TBS dried parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste

Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Boil until fork tender. Rinse with cold water. When cool enough to handle, chop. Transfer to a large bowl. Add eggs, onion and bacon. Set in fridge until chilled. In a small bowl combine mayo, relish, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, celery seed, dill weed, parsley, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Pour over potato mixture. Stir very well to combine. Chill until ready to serve. 





Shared on The Country Cook May 8, 2015


Disclaimer: As a Field Editor for Taste of Home, I share this recipe as a volunteer. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I am NOT a paid employee. 

No comments: