Everyday Mom's Meals: New Orleans At Home
_____

Friday, May 8, 2015

New Orleans At Home

My boys love creole/Cajun food. They can't get enough. For Mr. E. is steams from the trips he took to Louisiana to visit his aunt and uncle. Great memories made over delicious food. For the boy I think it's simply in his DNA, from Daddy of course. I'm sure his very varied and sophisticated palate has something to do with it too. He loves him some great flavor, what can I say?

One of the little guy's favorite restaurant dishes is the gumbo he used to get at Qdoba. See, when they first opened here in Fort Wayne, we won a year's worth of meals from them! So, we ate there a lot over the next 12 months, and enjoyed every bite. But when those meals ended, I will fully admit I was taken back a bit at how pricey they are. I'm not saying the food isn't worth the money, but for a place I would list in the "fast food" category (you order at the counter, you get your own drinks and condiments, there are no servers) it's just a little bit more than I'm willing to spend. Therefore, I had to come up with ways for us to enjoy our favorites at home.

This is the first gumbo recipe I was willing to try when it was given to me. Why? One reason. The words "easy and skillet". To me that meant another one pot wonder I could have on the dinner fast and then share with all of you!

This is a simple weeknight meal that is packed with flavor. You can decrease or increase the heat level depending on how much your family can stand. This was just right for me (the wimp) and the guys added some dashes of hot sauce to theirs for some extra heat.

Bring New Orleans into your kitchen with a delicious, fast meal that is sure to create some new creole fans of its own!

Easy Skillet Gumbo
2 TBS vegetable oil
2 (9 oz.) packages smoked sausage, sliced
1 green pepper, chopped
1 medium white onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 ( 14 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained, leave a little juice
2 tsp. creole seasoning
1 TBS cornstarch
1 (15 oz.) can chicken broth
Salt and Pepper to taste
Dried Parsley, for garnish
Cooked Rice

In a large dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onions, peppers, garlic, carrots and celery. Saute' until sausage is browned and veggies are tender-crisp. Add tomatoes. Stir well. Sprinkle with cornstarch. Mix well. Add chicken broth. Stir to combine. Increase heat to high. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes until thickened. Serve over rice. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. 





Shared on The Country Cook May 8, 2015

No comments: