Everyday Mom's Meals: Finally...Success
_____

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Finally...Success

Okay, okay, I realize the snow is melting, the temps are rising, and everyone has spring on the brain. But let's face it. We, more than likely, aren't out of the woods yet. There are probably still some chilly days in our future. And let's face it, if nothing else, we know there are going to be some rainy days coming. So while I meant to post this back in January or February, I'm happy I can still excuse doing so now.

I have tried for year to find a Crock Pot beef stew recipe I actually liked. I've played with different ones I've found in cookbooks and online. I have combined this and that from many to try to find just what I was looking for. And I have been unsuccessful...until now.

I just never liked the consistency, or the flavor, or the texture. I'm not going to lie. I am not the biggest beef stew fan. I love stew in general, just not the beef variety. Have no idea why, but it's just not on my favorite list. But I have two boys who love the stuff, so I have to make it. And while I'm not the biggest fan, even I enjoyed this and can safely say, I finally achieved the beef stew success I've been aiming for.

This has big chunks of meat and potatoes, a rich, flavorful broth, that you can thicken to your perfect stew liking. Oh, and you could easily start this in the morning when you get up, turn it down before you leave and then finish it when you get home!

My success has been a long time coming, but it's just in time for those cool, damp days spring will bring to our doorstep. This would be the perfect way to warm up and wait it out until the sun and warmth return! 

Slow Cooker Beef Stew
2 lbs. round steak, cut into chunks
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 c. frozen peas, thawed
5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can tomato soup
3 c. hot water
4 beef bouillon cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker, except peas and cornstarch. Stir to combine. Cook on HIGH 1 hour. Reduce heat to LOW and cook 6 hours. Carefully ladle out 1 c. liquid and mix with cornstarch, whisking until smooth. Return to slow cooker. Add peas. Stir well. Cook on HIGH 30 minutes until thickened to desired consistency. 





Shared on The Country Cook Mar. 20, 2015

No comments: