Everyday Mom's Meals: Take A Gander Into The Pantry
_____

Monday, November 17, 2014

Take A Gander Into The Pantry

Have you ever wandered into the kitchen, taken a gander into your pantry and found something that made you say to yourself "Um, how long as that been there?" If not, then my hats off to you, because it's been happening to me more and more lately. I'm assuming I've bought or been given items for recipes, and for whatever reason they weren't used. Either I changed my mind about the recipe I was creating, or a company was very generous and I was given extra. Then I put them in the pantry and move on. Well, recently it was time for me to go back, see what I have and create something to use it up.

This recipe was inspired by one simple can. A can of diced tomatoes with olive oil and basil. Well, okay, there were two cans, but of the same thing, so for story telling purposes, they count as one. Think diced tomatoes with an Italian twist. I've had them forever, and it was time for them to be put to good use. But how? I mean, you can do almost anything with diced tomatoes. They are great in the cold months when fresh ones just aren't an option. So, the brainstorming began. To be honest, the first thing that came to mind was a great bruschetta recipe. However, I was more in need of a hearty dinner, so my brain moved on.

Then I got to thinking about something else I knew I had sitting in the pantry. Egg noodles. I always have them on hand because they make a quick side dish in a pinch. And to be honest, I will find any reason to eat some warm buttered egg noodles. That's when the plan really started to come together.

I wish I could tell you this is a fantastic one pot meal, but it actually takes two. But the main part does come together in one skillet, so it's almost just as good. This meal is rustic, delicious and perfect after a long day.

I'm so glad I finally found a use for those two cans of tomatoes. Just in time too. Why? Because I bought two more so I could try out that bruschetta recipe I thought of. Time to get to cooking again!

Italian Skillet Chicken
over
Buttered Egg Noodles
3 large boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
2 can diced tomatoes, with garlic and olive oil, ONE can drained
1/4 c. chicken broth
8 oz. button mushrooms, thick sliced
1 small onion, diced
1 lg. extra wide egg noodles, cooked to package directions
5 TBS butter
3 TBS olive oil
1 TBS corn starch
1 1/2 TBS Italian seasoning
1 TBS dried parsley
Garlic powder, to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese

Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder, Allow to sit at room temperature about 15 minutes. In a large skillet melt 2 TBS butter. Add onions. Saute until almost tender. Add mushrooms and saute both until mushrooms are browned. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from skillet. Add olive oil. Add chicken. Do not move for 1-2 minutes to brown on first side. Continue cooking until chicken is almost cooked through. Add chicken broth and scrape bottom of pan to deglaze. Add mushrooms mixture and both cans tomatoes (1 with juice) to chicken. Mix well. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Carefully ladle out about 1/4 c. liquid. Add cornstarch to liquid and whisk well. Return to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes until thickened. When pasta is cooked, drain well and return to hot pot. Add 3 TBS butter and parsley. Stir well. Serve chicken over egg noodles. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.






Shared on The Country Cook Nov. 21, 2014

No comments: