Everyday Mom's Meals: Our Holiday Dessert
_____

Friday, July 25, 2014

Our Holiday Dessert

So, it was the 4th of July, and I, in all my wisdom, had planned another holiday picnic for the three of us. Now, don't get wrong. I love our family picnics. They are one of the things I look most forward to in summer. But they aren't easy! At least our type aren't. They usually result in me in the kitchen the night before and morning of, prepping, cooking and packing. Sure, it's all worth it, every dish is tasty, and my boys are very grateful for the memories we make because I went to the trouble to plan it, but sometimes even mom wants some time off on a holiday. And on this day, that break came when it was time for dessert. 

I wasn't sure what our holiday dessert would be, but I knew it had to be simple and easy because after making enough food to fill a picnic basket and two coolers, I was ready to sit down and enjoy a glass of lemonade before we headed off for the park. So I started looking in the pantry, fridge and freezer to see what I could come up with what I had on hand. I'm not even going to lie, I truly thought about taking the berries as is, and the tub of Cool Whip for dipping and calling it a day. But in the next moment I remembered it was indeed a holiday, and we were going to be spending some special time together, so I wanted to put forth at least a little effort. 

This is what I came up with. If you've made a traditional strawberry trifle, you will recognize quickly just what an easy route I took. There was nothing complicated about it, and took almost no brain power to throw together. It's simple, delicious and great for summer parties! (Or picnics when your family is expecting effort and you just don't have any more to give!) 

Easy Strawberry Trifle
1 lb. strawberries, sliced
1 small box instant vanilla pudding
1 1/2 c. cold milk
1 (12 oz.) tub Cool Whip
1 (10 oz.) angel food cake from store bakery, cubed

Combine pudding mix and milk and whisk for 2 minutes. Chill in fridge for 5 minutes until soft set. In the bottom of a large bowl place enough angel food cake cubes to cover. Then layer pudding, Cool Whip and berries. Repeat layers until reach top. Spread with Cool Whip and finish with berries. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. 




 

Shared on The Country Cook July 25, 2014
Strawberries at Very Good Recipes

No comments: