Everyday Mom's Meals: Spring Had Sprung...Or So We Thought
_____

Friday, May 16, 2014

Spring Had Sprung...Or So We Thought

April in Indiana is an odd thing. One day it can be cold as can be, and the next is will be hotter than you know what. One day it can be sunny and beautiful, and the next you might need your winter coat. This year, we actually had to use the snow shovel in April, while last year we had one of the hottest on record with temps reaching 90 degrees. So when "spring time" comes to the Hoosier state, we are never quite sure what to expect.

I give you this meteorology lesson because the weather, or should I say the fickle weather, is the #1 reason why you are getting this recipe today. See, I wanted to grill. Sure, we grill all year long, but when it is really cold, only Mr. Everyday ventures outside to get it done. This mama grills, but the temperatures have to be above freezing, no rain, and preferable sunny. 

I had gotten a great deal on some bone in chicken thighs at the grocery store and I was going to grill them. I had been craving something charred from the grill for weeks. When I made my menu plan, it was 60 and sunny. I guess I didn't realize I needed to consult weather.com when planning meals as well. But by the time the day came to grill said chicken thighs, it was windy, rainy and the thermometer was struggling to get higher than 45. Plus, it just so happened to be a night when the hubby wasn't home to grill; and this girl wasn't standing outside in that no matter how hungry I was for grilled chicken!

So I regrouped; and you are going to be so happy I did! When you see the photo of this chicken, you're never going to believe it was cooked in the oven, but I promise you it was! I'm sure these would be just as delicious on the grill, but on those days when that just isn't possible, here is a simple dinner idea that takes almost no time at all to prep and the oven does all the work. They are crispy on the outside, but the juices will run out! Tender and bursting with flavor...absolutely delicious. And if you're like me a crave all things lemon during the summer months, these will become a go-to classic! 

Sometimes the weather just doesn't cooperate with my dinner plans. That's okay though because staying quick on my feet is what makes me a better cook. Plus, those weather debacles lead to new yummy things for me to share with you, so it's a win win! 

Oven Roasted Lemon Pepper Chicken
7 bone in chicken thighs, or your favorite cut
Juice of 2 lemons, divided
2 TBS olive oil
1-2 TBS lemon pepper seasoning
1 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400. Lay a wire rack on a large cookie sheet. (I actually had to use 2 small ones.) Spray racks and cookie sheet with non-stick spray. In a small bowl whisk together juice of 1 lemon and olive oil. Brush chicken pieces, on both sides, with oil mixture. Sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning, salt, pepper and parsley. Lay on wire racks, skin side up. Roast for 30 minutes. Lower temp to 375 and roast for an additional 30 minutes or until juices run clear. As soon as you remove from oven, Pour extra lemon juice down over chicken before serving.


Shared on The Country Cook May 16, 2014
 


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

can you use boneless chicken breasts?

Anonymous said...

On the recipe it says "OR YOUR FAVORITE CUT" !

Krista said...

I prefer to use a cut that has the skin on it for flavor and color on this recipe. So skin on, bone in breasts would work. I'm not so sure about boneless skinless.

Anonymous said...

Great recipe! Threw everything together in a ziplock (only one lemon) and let it marinate for 30 min. Cooked along with au gratin for 40-50 min at 450 degrees until juices ran clear. The thighs had a great flavor and were very tender!

Krista said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it as much as we did!

RogChele said...

This was so delicious. This is a go to in my house now! We love to grill but Oklahoma weather can dictate that any day. Thank you!!

Krista said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I’m so glad you enjoyed the chicken! It is a good one! I know all about grilling based on weather here in Indiana too, so thank goodness we have stuff like this!