Everyday Mom's Meals: Another One Pot Meal
_____

Friday, April 18, 2014

Another One Pot Meal

So, I'm talking to my friend a few weeks back. The topic? Food of course. (I know it probably seems like I talk about nothing else. But I do. I promise.) We were swapping ideas for one pot meals because both of us are dealing with these extended school days; and to be quite honest they are monotonous, especially when trying to meal plan. 

Anyway, she told me about this new recipe she had just come across, and couldn't wait to try. Then she went one to tell me it just so happened to be for something I had been meaning to make for me boys anyway, red beans and rice. You mean I can score points with my family with something super easy that only dirties one pan? That's a double bonus to this mama! 

Well, you can imagine the little smile that I got when she shared the recipe with me, and I discovered that it was actually from a good foodie buddy, and someone I've already introduced you to before, Stacey from Southern Bite. Yep, I got to be one of those cool people who says "Oh, I know him. Yeah, we're friends." My friend was very impressed. Or at least she pretended to be to make me feel good. 

If you're always on the lookout for easy weeknight meals, you're going to love this one! Not to mention if you have no desire to use every pot and pan you have in the house. One skillet and dinner is on the table! I'm sure there are more complicated ways to make this dish, but for our family, this was perfect. The boys absolutely loved the flavors, and I enjoyed not having to work too hard after a busy day. In this house, that's what we call a yummy win-win!

One Skillet Red Beans, Rice and Sausage From Southern Bite
1 lb. smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 celery rib, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, grated or minced
2 1/2 c. chicken broth
2 (15.5 oz.) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained well
2 c. instant white rice
2 TBS Cajun seasoning
1 TBS vegetable oil

In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage and cook 4-5 minutes, until edges being to brown. Add onion, green pepper and celery. Saute' until veggies are tender, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high. Add broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice and beans. Add Cajun seasoning, stir to combine. Reduce heat to simmer and cook about 15 minutes until rice is tender.




Shared on The Country Cook April 18, 2014
 

No comments: