Everyday Mom's Meals: A Snow Day and Fractions Lesson
_____

Friday, February 14, 2014

A Snow Day and Fractions Lesson

So, yeah, I'm that mom. The one who takes "fun" snow days and turns them into "you can still learn days." But before you chastise me too much, let me explain.

Since the beginning of January, our schools have been closed more than they have been in session. I'm not exaggerating. These kids have barely been in the classroom! Now, I'm not complaining. The weather has been insane this winter, dumping more snow on Indiana than we've seen in almost 30 years. Then add in the days where the temps didn't reach 0 and wind chills were as low as -40, and it has been down right too dangerous for kids to be in school. As much as I don't enjoy having to make up these days off come June when the weather is beautiful and we are ready to begin summer vacation, I am always happy to know my baby is home with me, safe and warm.

But when the snow days start to pile up and you can see the brain cells being withered away from not being in the classroom, a mom has to do what a mom has to do. Sure, we can still have fun and enjoy all the things a snow day was made for, but along the way we can learn a little something too.

One of our favorite things to do on a snow day, of course, is be in the kitchen together. So on this snowy, cold day I figured we could do just that, but at the same time have a little math lesson along with our fun. So I found a recipe that I could easily half and have Monkey work on some fractions while we were having fun baking something yummy. They had just started working on fractions in class, so I figured this was a hands-on lesson he could really benefit from!

These are so simple, making them perfect for little hands to help measure, mix, and make. And they come out sweet, chewy and absolutely yummy! What a perfect snow day treat, lunchbox dessert, after school snack, or weeknight dessert.

Now the recipe I'm sharing with you is the halved one we made. If you wish to make more, simply double it and follow the baking instructions in the note below. And if you do, maybe you can teach your kids about fractions too, especially if they are like my son, and only in school once or twice a week thanks to Mother Nature!


Chewy Peanut Butter Bars From Taste of Home
1/4 c. creamy peanut butter
1/4 c. butter, cubed
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. flour
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 8 x 8 baking pan. In a microwave safe bowl cook butter and peanut butter for 1 minute, or until melted. Stir until creamy. In another bowl combine flour and sugar. Transfer butter mixture to a medium mixing bowl. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir. Add vanilla to egg. Using an electric mixer, beat egg mixture into flour mixture until smooth. Spread into greased pan and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden and edges pull away from pan. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Cut into bars. *NOTE* If you choose to double this recipe, use a 9 x 13 pan and bake for about 30 minutes.



Shared on The Country Cook Feb. 14, 2014
 
Disclaimer: As a Field Editor of Taste of Home, I share my own thoughts and opinions of this recipe. I am not a paid employee. 

No comments: