Everyday Mom's Meals: Soul Food Saturday #6
_____

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Soul Food Saturday #6

Good Morning! Bekki is back this week with not just something yummy, but also a beautiful story behind it. We both wanted to include the victims of this past week's deadly tornado in Oklahoma in today's post. The images on television were so heart wrenching, and we can't imagine what those families are going through. We realize food isn't going to make it better, but food is love, and we can share something delicious while remembering them in our heart and prayers.



This weeks addition of Soul food Saturday is dedicated to Oklahoma. To the teachers that gave their lives to save children they loved, the children that filled heaven, leaving behind parents and siblings. The families that will always have a space in their heart for ones they lost, and we certainly can't forget the first responders that put their own lives on the line to save others. My grandmother was from Oklahoma and grew up not having many opportunities. School was a luxury that was short lived. So her teacher meant the world to her. To know so many of my own teachers were an amazing influence. Along with having friends that are a new generation of teachers influencing young lives; touches my soul. To each of you, I pray God will show His mercy, in your life daily. Lift you up, encourage you to press on, regain your strength and fill you with His grace. Shower you with His best blessings, walking with you everyday. 

For all of them, I am sharing a very special recipe. This recipe was used at our wedding. I decided instead of traditional wedding cake, I wanted cupcakes. That I baked for our 75 guests. Yes, I said it. I, made these beauties.


Red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting has been my favorite for longer than I can remember. 
No one ever said boxed cake mix is out, because I for one am grateful for the help. Grab your favorite drink and someone you love. This recipe is best when shared!

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
1 box Duncan Hines Red Velvet cake mix
1 ¼ c. Lemon lime soda
1/3 c. unsweetened apple sauce
3 large eggs
1 tbs. cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners, and set aside.
2. In a large bowl add cake mix, soda, apple sauce, eggs, and cinnamon. Mix on low speed until moistened. (About 30 seconds)
Mix on medium for 2 minutes. Pour batter into cups and bake immediately.  Bake between 17 and 20 minutes. Toothpick will come out clean when center is done.
While the cupcakes bake, I whip up some frosting. This is a quick fast recipe I found online that has worked wonders for me.

Cream Cheese Frosting Adapted from AllRecipes
2 (8oz.) tubs whipped cream cheese
½ c. unsalted butter, softened
2 c. powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
In medium bowl mix; butter and cream cheese until creamy. Add vanilla and mix to combine. Add powdered sugar ½ c. at a time, until completely combined. Refrigerate until needed. Makes 3 cups.

After the cupcakes are done baking allow to cool completely before frosting. This frosting is stable enough for a piping bag if your feeling creative or your favorite spatula will quickly do the job as well. I hope you enjoy these delicious little bites as much as we did!




No comments: