Everyday Mom's Meals: Scorching Not Allowed
_____

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Scorching Not Allowed

There is nothing worse than working on dinner, slaving over a big pot on the stove, only to discover, only moments before serving, the bottom of the pot has scorched, leaving behind that burnt taste throughout your entire masterpiece.

When a recipe debuts here on EMM, that usually means, I have just made it for the first time too. And when I make something for the first time, I am totally OCD about making sure it turns out well. That means doing everything I can to ensure perfection. If it's on the stove, I'm watching it like a hawk, if it's baking in the oven, I'm checking it, if it's grilling...well, that's Adam's department most of the time, so if it burns, it's his fault. If I'm going to blog a recipe, I want to do everything within my power to make sure it turns out the way it's supposed to. But if that recipe turns into something I continue to make on a regular basis, the level of OCD decreases a little. Let's face it, when we've made something over and over, it becomes one of those things we can do with our eyes closed. There is a comfort level to just let it "do it's thing." Well, that's all fine and dandy until you feel so comfortable, you find yourself forgetting it's even cooking!

When I shared my Homemade Marinara Sauce for the first time, it came out so tasty and as close to perfection as I could have hoped. But the next time I made it for our family, not so much. As it was simmering away on the stove, I got busy doing the other 100 things on my to-do list, and forgot about it, causing it to scorch on the bottom....oops! 

So this time I decided to stack the odds in my favor. Slow cook it all day! That's right, same ingredients (except a different pasta) but let them simmer all day, on LOW in my Crock Pot so when I once again find myself in the middle of multiple tasks, my dinner is still safe.

There will always be times in the kitchen that lead to burnt meals. That's when pizza delivery comes in handy. But if you can tip the scales of success in your favor....well, that's a good day, not to mention a yummy meal. 

Crock Pot Marinara with Penne
2 (28oz) cans crushed tomatoes
2 celery stalks, cut in half
2 carrots, peeled and cut in half
2 garlic cloves
2 dried bay leaves
medium onion, peeled and left whole
2 TBS butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 lb. penne pasta, cooked and drained
Dried Parsley for garnish

Combine all ingredients, except pasta, in Crock Pot. Cook on LOW all day, 6-8 hours. About 30 minutes before serving, remove onion, celery, carrot, bay leaves and garlic. Some of the garlic will probably fall apart, so just leave it behind. Stir well and turn off to stay warm. When pasta is cooked and drained, mix with sauce and garnish with parsley before serving.




Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain May 8, 2013
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage May 9, 2013
Shared on The Country Cook May 10, 2013


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you ever add hamburger?

Krista said...

Not for this marinara sauce, but I do have a Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce that includes ground beef :) You can find it here: http://everydaymomsmeals.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-child-could-live-onagain.html

Miz Helen said...

Thank you so much for sharing this awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a very special Mothers Day Weekend and come back soon!
Miz Helen