Everyday Mom's Meals: Mom's New Side Dish
_____

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Mom's New Side Dish

When I have my mom over for dinner, sometimes I run into a little bit of a challenge. I've shared before how she has many dietary needs, and while we are all accustomed to them, I do like to find new things she can have to treat her with. She always gets so tickled when I am able to find something yummy the rest of us will love, that she can enjoy too. When you can't eat as much as she can't, you really do savor the things you can, especially when they aren't on the "old stand by" list. 

So a few weeks ago when I was making one of her favorites, Grilled Shrimp Skewers, I wanted side dishes that all of us good eat as well. It's easy enough to make something the 3 of us can eat, and then simply make her something different, but this time I wanted one meal for all. I knew Parsley Red Potatoes would be one thing she could enjoy, but the other I wanted to be something brand new. I started thinking of the veggies she could have and what I could do to jazz them up, but still following her dietary guidelines. Mushrooms came to mind because while she loves them, she can only have them cooked, and normally when I do them I simply saute' them in a little butter, salt and pepper. So, I decided to expand on that same idea and see what I could find. I was so excited when I came across this recipe because I knew I could make it for all of us, and she would be so excited. 

These make a great side dish. Kind of like the ones you find in a good steakhouse. The depth of flavor you get from allowing them to get super brown will make any mushroom lover's taste buds drool! Plus, they are light yet satisfying, making them a great dish for the warm summer months, when we are all eating a little lighter.

I am so lucky to be able to use my skills in the kitchen to come up with new treats for mom. When you are on a restricted diet you truly do savor the most simple of things and appreciate what you can eat and enjoy all the more!

Sauteed White Button Mushrooms Adpated from Food Network
1 1/2 lbs. white button mushrooms, wiped clean
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried parsley, extra for garnish
1/2 c. beef broth
2 TBS lemon juice
6 TBS olive oil
3 TBS butter
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in large skillet over high heat. Carefully place mushrooms in oil, top side down. DO NOT move. Cook for 2 minutes. (If you move them too early, they will release liquid and not brown) After 2 minutes when mushrooms are caramelized, toss and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Add butter, toss to coat and cook for 5 minutes more until completely browned. Season with garlic, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir well and saute another 2 minutes. Add broth and lemon juice. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until some liquid evaporates and sauce thickens slightly. Remove mushrooms with slotted spoon to serving dish. Spoon sauce over top. 


Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain May 29, 2013
Shared on The Country Cook May 31, 2013
Mushrooms at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

No comments: