Everyday Mom's Meals: My Boys' Favorite
_____

Monday, April 29, 2013

My Boys' Favorite

I am never shy about sharing favorites of mine with all of you. Heck, that's why I am here! To bring things I love into your home, and hope maybe you will love them too! But today I'm actually sharing a favorite of my "boys". Something they will both gobble down, rather it's my version or the original.

See, this is also a copycat recipe. I've told you before how our favorite Italian restaurant here in Fort Wayne is the family owned Casa's. (Plus, it is where Adam took me on our very first date, almost 16 years ago!) With a menu containing countless delicious dishes, sometimes it is hard to choose only one...or at least it is for me. I have 3-4 favorites that I usually alternate between each time we visit. But if you were to walk up to our table any given time we are eating, 9 times out of 10 you would find this dish in front of my husband. This wasn't something he always ordered, but once he did, it quickly became his favorite. And when Alex was little and still ordering off the kids' menu, Daddy was always nice enough to share a few bites with him. But now, as Alex has gotten older, and eats even more, he orders his own plate. 

They serve this dish with the option of mushrooms, olives, or both. Well, for my guys there is no question...it is always both! The salty, briny flavor of the olives compliments the deep flavor of the mushrooms and sauce so well, it is a match made in heaven. And while this isn't something I order there (I have too many other faves to add another!) I really love the flavor too.

Copycat recipes are so incredibly fun, not to mention affordable. Now I can make something I know my boys' adore, any night of the week, save a little money and treat them to a special meal without leaving our kitchen!

Cappellini con Pomodoro
1 lb. angel hair pasta, cooked according to package directions and drained
7 oz. jar pitted kalamata olives, drained and lightly chopped
8 oz. button mushrooms, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 TBS butter
Salt and Pepper to taste

Sauce:
28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
1/2 c. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp. sugar
Salt to taste


Pulse tomatoes with juices in a food processor until pureed but still thick. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, sugar and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer gently until sauce is slightly thickened, 10-15 minutes. In a separate skillet, heat butter on medium. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook until starts to brown, about 5 minutes. Add olives, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until mushrooms are completely cooked, about 5 minutes more. Add mushroom mixture to sauce. When pasta is cooked, drain well. In a large bowl combine sauce and pasta. Toss to coat well. Garnish with dried parsley if desired.
*NOTE* I use angel hair because I can't find true cappellini. Also, this sauce recipe makes about 3 cups. For an even easier version, use 3 cups of your favorite spaghetti sauce.


Shared on Make Ahead Meals Apr. 29, 2013
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Apr. 30, 2013
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain May 2, 2013
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage May 2, 2013
Shared on The Country Cook May 3, 2013
Pasta at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

No comments: