Everyday Mom's Meals: All Things In Moderation
_____

Friday, April 12, 2013

All Things In Moderation

I will be the first person to admit we don't always eat as healthy as we should. We try, we really do. And to be honest, since Alex came along, we try even harder. But I know many people who eat more responsibly than we do; and I'm okay with that. 

See, I'm a true believer in "all things in moderation." What do I mean? It's simple. I try very hard to make sure we have all of our favorites, while still paying attention to having a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, proteins, and sweets too. I try very hard to make sure we only have one night per week with a "treat meal". Do I always succeed? Of course not. Especially if it's a week when I let the 8 year old pick one or two of his favorite meals; but in the end it all works out in the wash, so to speak. 

This meal is a perfect example of that. I know it's not something we can eat every night of the week, or one night every week for that matter, but it's something we love and I'm okay with letting us eat it now and again, not matter what the caloric and fat intake. And believe me....I'm sure it's high! I've said before, we are pasta fiends. If I could eat one thing every day with no repercussions  it might just be pasta. Or sushi. It's a toss up, but pasta is definitely at the top of the list! 

This reminds me of the Alfredo sauce at our favorite local Italian restaurant, but it's much simpler than I could have ever imagined. If you buy bottled Alfredo sauce, I encourage you to try this. I think you might just be surprised too. If you read this recipe and think "Oh my gosh, that is so fattening, I can't eat it." I respect that. But if you read it and think "Oh my gosh, that is so fattening...sign me up and I'll eat more broccoli tomorrow...well, then take a seat next to me and pass the Parmesan cheese!

Mushroom Fettuccine Alfredo
1 lb. fettuccine, cooked to al dente
1 stick plus 1 TBS butter
2 c. cream
3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
Salt and Pepper to taste
Dried Parsley to taste

While pasta is cooking, melt 1 stick butter in medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add 2 cloves garlic, cream and black pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer stirring often. Add Parmesan and stir until well blended. Simmer 8-10 minutes until thickened. Add mozzarella and stir frequently until blended and smooth. Set aside but keep warm. In a medium skillet melt 1 TBS butter. Add mushrooms and 1 minced garlic cloves. Saute until browned, about 5-7 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. When pasta is cooked, drain well. Place in a large bowl. Toss with mushrooms and sauce. Garnish with parsley. 


Shared on The Country Cook Apr. 12, 2013
Shared on Make Ahead Meals Apr. 15, 2013
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Apr. 16, 2013
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Apr. 17, 2013
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Apr. 18, 2013



4 comments:

NOVA Frugal Family said...

I am with you!! I think that this is a million times healthier than anything in a restaurant and you are probably saving your family calories/fat over what really unhealthy stuff you would have eaten out so we call these meals our restaurant meals. Cheaper than take out and way healthier :)

Rebekah said...

Saving this, and adding cream to my shopping list - YUMM! :)

Sunshine - www.cancersurvivor26.blogger.com said...

That looks so good!

Miz Helen said...

Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing this awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
Hope to see you soon!
Miz Helen