Everyday Mom's Meals: Foodie Gifts
_____

Friday, January 25, 2013

Foodie Gifts

I remember when I was a kid, my favorite Christmas presents were, of course, toys. Then as I became a "tween" and teenager, they became clothes, CDs and books. Now into my adult life, I still enjoy new clothes and books; and yes my husband had a great track record for beautiful jewelry; but some of my most recent favorite gifts are foodie ones! Anything that is used, can be used, or goes in my kitchen is at the top of my wish list, and some of the items I have most fun with. And even more fun is when someone finds something I didn't even know about and I get to cook with or experience new things. This is the case of one of the ingredients of this dish. Our aunt got me the best gift set from a local olive oil company, Olive Twist, where the specialize in gourmet olive oils and vinegars. This set included 3 flavored olive oils and 3 flavored balsamic vinegars. I was so incredibly excited to start cooking and experimenting, but the holidays and next couple weeks got away from me, and I was too busy to even open a bottle. But when I decided I was going to make the time, I immediately knew which one I wanted to start with...black cherry balsamic vinegar. I knew this would pair so well with chicken, so I went looking for a recipe to inspire me. I found exactly what I was looking for, and the result is truly one of the most delicious chicken dishes I've ever made. The flavor of the new vinegar was exactly what I was looking for and it only concentrated in the cooking process, thus creating the perfect sauce.

I'm so lucky to have so many in my life that love to treat me with such lovely gifts. And I guess when you are a food blogger who spends a majority of her time in the kitchen, it only makes sense foodie gifts quickly become very special!

Cherry Balsamic Chicken Adapted from Food.com
3-4 boneless chicken breasts, patted dry
3 TBS butter, divided
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
2 TBS black cherry balsamic vinegar
1/2 c. dried cherries, chopped
1 TBS flour
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/3 c. chicken broth
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large plastic bag, combine flour, basil, salt and pepper. Shake to mix. Add chicken and gently shake, dredging chicken. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 TBS butter. Add chicken and onions around edges. Brown chicken for 4 minutes on each side, and stir onions occasionally. Add broth and vinegar around chicken. Add cherries. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken and keep warm. Increase heat until mixture bubbles. Cook 2-4 minutes stirring, until slightly thickened. Reduce heat, add 1 TBS butter, stirring to combine. Place chicken back in sauce to warm again. Remove chicken to platter and pour sauce over top.


Shared on The Country Cook Jan. 25, 2013
Shared on Make Ahead Meals Jan. 28, 2013
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Jan. 29, 2013
Chicken at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

1 comment:

Diane Balch said...

I love the idea of cooking with cherries. I've only had duck... chicken sound great with this sauce.