Everyday Mom's Meals: They Better Be The Best Apples Ever...
_____

Thursday, October 4, 2012

They Better Be The Best Apples Ever...

The weekend of Alex's birthday, one of the fun things we treated him to was a trip to Fort Wayne's fall classic, The Johnny Appleseed Festival. My boys had actually been a couple years ago, but in my 31 years of living here this was my first time! For those of you who don't know, John Chapman, also known as Johnny Appleseed, was an American pioneer nurseryman who introduced apple trees to large parts of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois and Indiana. And for the 38th year in a row, our city held a festival over 2 days celebrating all things apple and autumn related. There are crafts, fall inspired foods, military reenactments, all sorts of fun for the whole family. We had such a great time, and one of my favorite parts was, as we were leaving, I found the Farmer's Market table with fresh produce and fall decor. I treated myself to some pumpkins and gourds to decorate our landscaping with, and then I saw these beautiful bags of fresh apples. I asked Mr. Everyday to please get us some, and at $1.99/bag, I said "get two bags." Well, he came back  and said "I only got 1 bag." I was about to ask why when he offered up the explanation. "They were actually $1.99 per pound, not bag, and after spending over $9 on one bag, I thought it was enough." Oops. Well, didn't I feel silly! I couldn't believe we had just spent that on apples. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful, but I could have gotten something very close at the grocery store for much cheaper. Yes, I realize these were straight from an area farmer, and it's better to buy from them, and I'm okay with that, I'm just pointing out the other side. But my hubby is such a good sport. He never flinched. He knew I wanted some apples, so he gladly paid the $9...but not without teasing me for the rest of the night saying over and over "Those better be the best apples ever!" And actually, they are pretty tasty and I'm super excited to have a whole bag of them, but I wanted to make sure I came up with something yummy to make with them, or in this case, for them! I guess next time I need to read a little closer, or if it's going to turn out this yummy, maybe not!

Cinnamon Dip for Apples Adapted from Yummly.com
1/2 c. vanilla yogurt
1/4. c. packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp honey
1 tsp butter

In a microwave safe bowl combine sugar, cinnamon, honey and butter. Don't stir. Microwave for 20 seconds until butter is melted. Remove and whisk well to incorporate. Add yogurt and stir to combine. Chill about an hour before serving.
*NOTE* If you use stick butter like me, 1 tsp is equal to 1/3 of a TBS. So cut 1 TBS into 3 equal pieces and use 1.


Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Oct. 4, 2012
Shared on Jen's Favorite Cookies Oct. 4, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook Oct. 5, 2012
Apples at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

6 comments:

Jen said...

This sounds really delicious, it's different from the fruit dips I've usually had. We'd love to see you at our Fall Food Link Party today! This recipe would work great in that collection! (at JensFavoriteCookies.com)

Krista said...

Thanks for the invite. Just linked up a couple fall treats!

The Country Cook said...

Thank you so much for sharing over at Weekend Potluck! I have everything I need on hand to make this today. I love anything cinnamon..LOL. I just shared this over on facebook. Hope you have a great weekend!! ~Brandie

Krista said...

Thanks, Brandie! I hope you love it as much as I do! It's different than any other one I've made and the cinnamon is the best part!

Becky said...

Krista,
Just came from the weekend Potluck. I love all things apples and cinnamon. also like that it has yogurt, instead of cream cheese.

I went to local apple orchard and the cheapest bag of apples that you could buy was $13.99 for 1/2 peck, yikes. Needless to say, I didn't buy them, but I did pay $6.99 for 1/2 gal of apple cider!

Krista said...

Thanks for stopping by, Becky! I too loved the yogurt. It made it much creamier than the cream cheese sometimes does. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one spending $$ on apple items this season!