Everyday Mom's Meals: Remembering Is So Delicious
_____

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Remembering Is So Delicious

Do you have a food from your past that you absolutely loved, ate it whenever you got the chance, and for whatever reason haven't had in forever? If you answered "yes", jump in the boat next to me. When I was a waitress at Bob Evans, one of my favorite things to treat myself to after a long shift was Eggs Benedict. When I began working there, I had never even heard of it, and by time my 5 years were over, I was an expert! I remember the first time I bit into the runny eggs mixed with the decadent sauce...I was hooked instantly! I think hollandaise is one of those things you either love or hate, with few people falling in between. For those of you who don't know, hollandaise is a sauce consisting of egg yolk and butter, mixed with lemon and seasoned. It's one of the 5 "mother sauces" in French cuisine. I will be honest with you. The first time I ever saw it served during my training, I thought it was a cheese sauce! But it's so much better than that! It's smooth, creamy and has just a little tang from the lemon. And with as much as I loved it years ago, you would think I would still be indulging whenever I could, but I'm not! It's not that I forgot about my love for it, I just never think to order it anymore. Until now! That's because I am making it at home whenever I want. Plus, it's not just for eggs anymore! I've seen lots of recipes using it with veggies, especially asparagus, and even chicken. I'm looking forward to expanding my hollandaise collection; but for now, I'm just happy to be enjoying an "old" favorite once again!

Eggs Benedict
4 English muffins, toasted and split
8 slices Canadian bacon, cooked
8 eggs, cooked to your liking, I like them over easy
3 egg yolks
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tsp cold water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 stick butter

In a small bowl whisk together egg yolks, lemon juice, water, salt and pepper. Melt butter in a saucepan on low heat. Gradually whisk egg mixture into butter. Continue whisking over low heat for 8 minutes, or until thickened. When sauce is cooked, lay English muffins open, 2 halves per person. Top each half with 1 slice of Canadian bacon and 1 egg. Ladle sauce over each. Garnish with parsley if desired.
*NOTE* To warm Canadian bacon, simply fry in skillet after cooking eggs for about 1 minute per side.

Pictured here with my Baked Home Fries

Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Oct. 3, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Oct. 4, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook Oct. 5, 2012

Breakfast at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

No comments: