Everyday Mom's Meals: A Kid At The Deli Counter
_____

Friday, October 5, 2012

A Kid At The Deli Counter

When I was a little girl one of the highlights of the week was going to the grocery store with my mom. And this was before we had a Walmart, Meijer or Kroger close to our house, so it was a food only trip. And one of the reasons I loved going with her was because it usually meant a treat for me! Believe it or not, one of the most special treats she used to get me was the Seafood Salad from the deli counter. It was something I only got once in awhile, as to not blow the grocery budget, and each time I loved it more and more. I would sit down with the container and a fork and for me it was a meal! I still remember feeling so fancy and grown up every time she would get it for  me. Well, this summer when we were at friends for a cookout, there was seafood salad sitting on the buffet. Now while I have had it many times since those childhood treats, this was the exact same! It tasted just like it did back them; and I asked our host for the recipe. Here to find out, he had gotten at the deli counter...at the same grocery store from when I was little! Coincidence? I think not! It's nice to know some things really do stay the same, or maybe just a little better with time. I came home, researched the recipe and discovered an ingredient I would have never guess was in it, but explained that "mmmm what is this" reaction my tongue had for all these years. This makes a great snack, appetizer or even a meal. Serve it with some crackers and you have a light lunch or even a nice supper for a busy night. I'm so thankful for those grocery store trips with my mom. Not only were they yummy, but look at what my early introduction into food turned into!

Seafood Salad 
2 (8oz) packages imitation crab, chunk style
1/2 c. mayo
2 celery hearts, finely diced
3 green onions, finely chopped
1 tsp dill weed
1 TBS lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp horseradish
Salt and Pepper to taste
Dried parsley for garnish

In a medium bowl using a fork, slightly break up crab meat. Add mayo, celery, green onions, dill weed, lemon juice, horseradish, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Chill until serving. Garnish with parsley. Serve with crackers.




Shared on The Country Cook Oct. 5, 2012
Shared on Make Ahead Meals Oct. 8, 2012
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Oct. 9, 2012




1 comment:

The Better Baker said...

WOW oh WOW! I always! look for the seafood salad on a buffet...would LOVE to make my own! It look soo tasty. I loved going shopping with my mom too...a favorite treat was getting to eat a banana on the way home. Isn't it wild how those little things stick with us...and bring a smile? Thanks for sharing this and linking up at Weekend Potluck. MMM!