Everyday Mom's Meals: Tomatoes And More
_____

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Tomatoes And More

I have been so lucky this summer to be the recipient of bag after bag of garden fresh veggies courtesy of our aunt. Her garden is producing gorgeous tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and herbs. So I have been finding as many ways as I can to use the bounty she has shared with us. It was so funny that it took me so to think to make this recipe because it was made for garden fresh veggies. You all know that I love my Restaurant Style Salsa, and make it whenever I can; but the secret to it tasting so authentic is using canned tomatoes. However, I am also a huge fan of fresh pico de gallo too. Using it top Mexican dishes, or as a dip for chips, the raw "salad" type salsa is one of my favorites too. For me, it's kind of a mood thing rather I want the "pureed or chopped" variety. So when I was staring into my full crisper drawers wondering what I was going to do to make the most out of everything, it dawned on me because I had every single thing I needed. This is so fresh, so flavorful but best of all, super easy! I really love the addition of the yellow tomato for an unique flavor, but feel free to replace it with more red if you don't have yellow. I am so sad it won't be long until the gardens are empty and the fresh vegetables of summer time will be nothing but memories, but I'm going to enjoy every single bite until then!

Pico de Gallo
2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 medium yellow tomato, seeded and diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (if you like extra heat, leave the seeds)
1 small white onion, diced
1/2 c. cilantro, chopped
2 TBS lemon juice
1 clove garlic, grated
Salt and pepper to taste

In a medium bowl, combine all and mix well. Chill for at least an hour before serving to allow flavors to combine.

Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Aug. 16, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook Aug. 17, 2012
Tomatoes at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

No comments: