Everyday Mom's Meals: Marriage Is
_____

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Marriage Is

Many, many things! We could all go on and on and on about it, but this time I'm talking about compromise! This is the factor that all those couples who are lucky enough to celebrate 30, 40, 50 or even 60 years can agree upon. Yes, there are many other ingredients to a successful marriage, but I think we can all agree that the give and take is at the top of the list. So, when it was a week where I was starting our menu on Monday w/ chicken, something Adam eats and enjoys, but tires of very easily, I figured the nice wifely thing to do was plan something later in the week that I might not enjoy as much, but he truly does. Since we like many of the same foods, that list isn't as long as it is for many other couples, I'm sure, but something that popped into my head immediately were bratwursts. Adam loves 'em! Me? They're okay. I think it's because my dad also loves them, and growing up we ate them a lot in the summer months and I think I just grew bored w/ them. And since I do 99% of the meal planning and cooking around here, they don't get included that often. But every once in a while, I have pity on his taste buds and treat him. When I do though I have two rules. One, they must be grilled. Hot dogs, I'll boil, skillet fry, or even microwave. Brats~ they must be grilled! And two, for me, they have to be topped w/ sauteed pepper and onions. It's like having a street fair in our own kitchen! I think Adam could have them w/o the special topping, but for me, it's the only way I can eat them. Is there a food or dish your spouse loves but you could live without? Maybe you could cook it for them and score a few extra of those compromise points! Heck, we can all use extra where we can get them!

Grilled Bratwursts w/ Peppers and Onions
1 package original bratwursts
1 TBS butter
1 TBS olive oil
1 green pepper, seeded and sliced thin
1 medium white onion, sliced thin
Salt and Pepper to taste
Brat Buns
Mustard and other toppings, if desired

Preheat grill to medium heat. Spray w/ nonstick spray. Place brats on and cook according to package directions. Ours took 5-6 minutes per side. In a small skillet, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add peppers, onions and season w/ salt and pepper. Saute until brown and tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Place brats in buns. Top w/ mustard and pepper/onion mixture.
*NOTE* The peppers and onions can be prepared ahead and simply reheated when ready to serve.

 ~Join me for Tasty Tuesday on Formula Mom~

Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Apr. 17, 2012
Shared on Chef in Training Apr. 17, 2012 
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Apr. 18, 2012 
Shared on Newlyweds Blog Apr. 18, 2012 
Shared on It's A Keeper Apr. 19, 2012 
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Apr. 19, 2012 
Shared on The Country Cook Apr. 20, 2012
Sandwiches at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

1 comment:

Miz Helen said...

Hi Krista,
There is nothing like a great Brot on a Bun, we just love them and your recipe looks delicious! Hope you have a fabulous week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen